Monday, January 12, 2009

First Evidence of Public Education in the family

I have a copy of one of these for my great-grandmother as well, except hers is for the Georgia State Normal School, through which I guess I could lay claim to being a 4th generation UGA alumus, but it'd be a bit of a stretch. The claim would be through the fact that the Georgia Normal School was eventually absorbed by UGA. Here's my grandfather's high school degree, which by his age (for today's standards) he graduated one year early, but I think it was about the right age for that time period. But, then again, I'm not an historian of public education in Georgia.

Burke County Public Schools

This Certifies that Robert Ingram Thompson_____ has completed the Course of Study prescribed for the High School and by intellectual attainments and correct department is entitled to this

Diploma

In Witness Whereof our signatures are hereunto affixed

this 4th ___ day of June_____ A.D. 1915

E B Gresham Jan H Whitehead

Superintendent President

Lucy A Wade

Principal Secretary

Vidette High School


I need to find a way to scan/get a picture of the diploma. Unfortunately it was not well kept for many years and while it was rolled, the roll was flattened at some point. The plus is that we still have it. There's that.

AFN
DCC
12 January 2008
Athens, GA Two Story Coffeehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment