Wednesday, December 24, 2008

And We Think We have it Bad - Part IV

Pages 10-12. Part I, Part II, & Part III contain the first 9 pages.

The damage to Pages 11 & 12 comes from having to remove the letter from an adhesive backed photo album page. I would have kept the letter as it was, but I wanted to be able to see the top part of the 12th page and the acid from the album would have eventually destroyed the letter all together.

10

our next door neighbor had &[sic] old chicken eating hog in their lot that was eating them[.] it sure provoked me because they wouldn’t do something with that hog[.] their lot is so close. It is impossible to keep them away it ate up nearly all of their chickens but they seem to think more of the hog than they did the chickens[.] I had to shut up what I had left to have a few to eat[.] I wanted to save ½ doz pullets[?] [.] I don’t know of any one who has any pullets to sell[.] they are real high here have to pay 75cts for small frying size. I am not getting a single egg now[.] looks like they never will


11

start to laying again. I have about 20 little fall chickens[.] I think they came off last of day [page torn] in Sept. I am proud of ??lus?? [page torn] they will get large enough to eat so early. Am writing Sat P.M. & am by myself so thought it a good time to write[.] Dollye went home with Lillian two weeks ago am expecting them to bring her home about next Sat. She generally spends about three weeks with Lillian it is so far & she don’t go very often[.] I was sorry about little George

12

Just being in such a bad fix & hope that ^Essie or Epsie? [carroted in] will enjoy her trip & come back very soon afterward.
Guess I have to stop now havent time to write any more. I have a [tear in paper]gro girl to [illegible 3-4 words][.] she washes dishes sets the table brings in wood & so on. Hope you are getting on as well as when you wrote. I am still feeling very well all but my back have spells with it[.] some times it feels weak nearly all the time[.] I know you are tired reading this excuse bad writing & mistakes & write again as soon as you can
love to all Sister


And that's the letter, such as it is/was. As the letter is today it hangs in my office. As it was, a priceless portrait of 'the way things were' in Middle/South Georgia (depending on who you ask) , and shows that just because 'everyone else' was having a time of it in the 'Roaring 20s' it wasn't necessarily so everywhere. "Everyone said Wall Street fell, but we were so poor we couldn't tell . . ." I've thought about that lyric just about every time I've read through the letter.

In a fit of pre-Christmas 'getting something for myself' (and I suppose for any descendants I may have), I bought a frame in which to put the letter with glass on both sides so that the whole of the letter may be viewed and the letter now hangs in my office. Next up getting the glass that's UV protectant to further protect the letter. But until I can rake up the change it's going to be as it is b/c after pricing, it ain't cheap . . .

Merry Christmas!
AFN
DCC
24 December 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment